Throw, Flick, Pick - We all have our own way to knit...

 


Throw, Flick, Pick - We all have our own way to knit...

 
Recently I have been thinking about the different methods used by knitters, the varying gauge and preferred density of fabric produced and such...
I love that all knitters have their own way to knit, as in the style and methods they use, Continental, English / Victorian, whether we pick, flick, throw, and it can produce some very different results, and gauges, between knitters. And then, we all have our own preferred choice of fabric density and stiffness that we look for in different projects, a denser gauge for socks, a more drape focused fabric for shawls, etc
I am an English Thrower. In the past, I have thought about learning to flick, and maybe even try continental, but I find I am very sentimentally attached to the way I knit, even though it might not be the most efficient way to knit, when it comes to extra hand movement and speed being affected. It's how my grandmother taught my mother, how my mother taught me and how I have now taught my daughter and husband. It means, in the latter two examples, I can work on their projects if they need a hand as our gauge is very similar, especially as I taught them how to tension their yarn as well. When knitting colourwork projects, I have not bothered to learn how to do it with two hands at the same time, I simply drop each thread for the other as needed, stretching out my stitches on the right hand needle as a matter of practise every time I do that. I don't seem to have any problems as far as I can see with the colour dominance I know some knitters speak of, perhaps that is because every stitch is equally made with my right hand.
I do think, and perhaps this is because of my style of knitting, I am a rather dense knitter, which personally I like as I like my stitches to look as consistent as possible and a bit 'machine made' I guess. So I am happy with how I knit, but I do wonder how it translates to knitters making my designs.
We all know if we do not achieve gauge for a project it can affect both the yardage required and the finished dimensions. I think a lot of us probably don't bother with items that don't have to fit around our body, for instance I will chance not swatching for a shawl but tend to swatch for a sweater. I think we understand the risk of not swatching, but sometimes just go with our preferred density of fabric for that kind of item or just don't have the time, energy or patience to delay the project by starting with a swatch! And we'll have to accept the results if not as expected.
But for those knitters who prefer not to take that chance and swatch for each project they decide to cast on, I do sometimes wonder how our different styles, sometimes regional sometimes sentimental in the reason for why we knit this way or that way, translate between knitters working on the same design but in a different way and especially from a designer stating her gauge as the result of how they work to the potential knitter of that design once it's out of the designers hands. I may spend some time in the future looking into how I can balance my wish as a fiber artist to remain with how I am happy to knit my items my way with if it's possible to adapt my personal style to be more in sync with other knitters. I am not sure if that's possible, or warranted, and what part pf the whole process would be the right part to be tweaked, but it may be something I look into a little further, regarding the how and if of it and I will keep you updated here if I take any meanderings down that path!


Designs in Progress...

I have recently cast on this new design WIP using the most lovely delicate soft yarn and that's just the nature of this piece so it's proving just perfect!
The yarn is 'Silky Singles' from 'Emiteri Yarns' (@emiteriyarns) and it is dreamy! I am working with the 'Periwinkle Sparkle' colourway and it has the most intricate delicate speckles of greens, blues, golds and pinks on a silvery lilac tonal background, hand dyed on a 70% sw merino 30% silk base that is so soft, making every stitch so full of sheen and luxurious feeling! The luxurious base and beautiful dye work, make it feel like a very precious work of art between my fingers.
The plan for the piece is a bias knit rectangular wrap, in most lace work, the perfect warmer weather cover up, delicate but still fun, over a summery dress, a sleeveless blouse, a bit of cover against a light breeze of a summer night and dressy enough to provide some sparkle for those fun evenings as well.
It's early days and still on some delicate knit purl rib patterning for now, but I am thoroughly enjoying it coming together so far, especially with the yarn being such a pleasure to work with.




It's still growing and the end is in sight!...


I am in sight of the finishing line on this shawl now as I soon depart from my journey through the third colour a lovely warm heathered creamy shade and into a final border to finish off this piece. It's been a very cozy comforting knit, full of interest and pleasure, and so I hope my testers enjoy it also as soon the next phase will be blocking and preparing the pattern for my wonderful testing team!



Tests in Progress...

Some current works in progress and finished objects that are being born from my wonderful test knitters needles, this week we have two hats which will be my next two releases due to go out before the end of March, the Braided Lace Hat and the Ancient Spirals Hat which now has some stitches coming together...


Braided Lace Hat test -





Ancient Spirals Hat -



Until next time! …

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Deco Decadence Shawl has been released!

I love how you can draw with yarn!

My latest release 'Journey Shawl', is now available!