Taking the good from 2020...



Taking the good from 2020...


So, it's the last day of 2020, and whilst I'm not one for making a big deal of this day each year usually, this has been far from a usual year...

We have all slogged through the Pandemic, Political stress and social Justice issues that this year has dragged us through and whilst that's a whole lot of pain that will no doubt stay with us in many ways as the human beings they have imprinted themselves on , and I'm sure we're all hoping for a better 2021 … But for me I feel I have to be thankful for the blessings this year afforded me, one of them being the extra time I have had for my designing.

Through all the pain, for me the way to push through was immerse myself in what makes me happiest - my family and my knitting. Thankfully they were able to work/learn from home and as we are homebodies at heart that love nothing better than being with each other, for us as a family, all being at home happy and safe together was the easy part. So with that box blissfully ticked, next for me was something to focus my energies into and that's where my knitting came into it.

I have always wondered if I am a 'Process' or 'Product' Knitter? Probably a bit of both I have always tended to believe but this year has definitely showed me where that split lies. I am a 'Product' Knitter when it comes to personal or gift knits , but a 'Process' Knitter when it comes to my designs.
I love to be lost in the creative process of bringing something together with your own hands and imagination, following, which tends to be for me, nights falling asleep to designing it all in my mind. Not so keen on the writing up the pattern part - which has improved though, as I have gone from writing every line down on paper as I knit, to typing each line down as I knit, so at least it's already stored in my laptop and just needs organizing. It's just something doesn't feel right without the purpose behind the knitting for me which is working on a design and it was a well-being saving grace for me this year as I worked through 9 releases, 3 shawls, 4 hats and 2 cowls (plus 2 designs still in the testing phase - more on that below)
And so that brings me to the gratitude part, I am so thankful that I remained determined to convert all that time on my hands into using them to feel productive and dedicate the required time for my beloved designing to become a bigger part of my daily life. But mainly, I am so thankful for all the support and interest my designs received, the unwavering work delivered by my wonderful and essential test knitting team, and the encouragement from my family... without all these things, I simply wouldn't have the rewarding, motivating and encouraging sense of achievement they bring, which drive this to be a bigger and therefore even more beloved and appreciated part of my life.

So bye bye 2020 with this my last post of the year, hello 2021 and so all the best to everyone for the New Year … And I have already started making plans for my designs in 2021 so just as much knitting for 2021 (but more on that next week)


Design in Progress...

At the moment I am in the very early stages of a design in progress that really has my heart as it involves some of what are feel are very soothing colours, a soft aqua, a tonal beige and a warm cream, the shades I decorated my very knitty focused bedroom in, to recreate a place of sanctuary for me and that's why it's going to be called the 'Sanctuary Shawl' Here is a very early shot of it so far

It will be a 3 colour, DK weight, big snuggly wraparound of a triangular shawl, with lots of textured patterning, including twisted stitches and cables, made up in these soft inviting shades as they merge into each other.  I'm using Gilliatt from De Rerum Natura, and it's a nice rustically satisfying yarn crying out to be snuggled in!
It's going to be a very soothing comforting knit and I think I will wear it quite a bit! More on this as it progresses





Tests in Progress...

Currently there are 2 designs in the testing phase, and they are the 'Gift Of Honey Hat & Cowl'
The Cowl is a moebius style cowl, worked up in a tube, given a twist and then joined. It's made up of some alternating ‘colour work’ panels, using slipped stitches so only ever using one colour at a time.

I chose a neutral base for the Main colour paired with a high contrast colour and accompanied by two complimentary colours (in the case of the Cowl) for my colour scheme, but you can choose to work with as many colours as you wish to when you are planning how your colours will play together. It's also very size adjustable, as explained in the pattern. 

Gift Of Honey Hats

They're just a nice cozy set, that
also provides an interesting quick
knit. Next week's blog will include
some pic's from my test knitters!

Until next time...









































Gift Of Honey Cowl



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Deco Decadence Shawl has been released!

I love how you can draw with yarn!

My latest release 'Journey Shawl', is now available!